Monday, November 21, 2011

Family Council

In class we talked a lot about family council. This is something I am very passionate about. I grew up in a family that had Family Council every sunday. Looking back I really appreciate that my family held Family council each week. I feel like it really blessed and unified my family.  To me Family Council gave me the eternal perspective that as a family we are a team all working together to the same goal.   In reality as families we are working together to get to the Celestial kingdom so that we can be together forever. One thing I have realized is that it is in the family unit we learn to become more like Christ. We learn Faith, Patience, hope, love charity, service, kindness and so much more. That is why the family is so important.  I feel like Family council is my family’s way of making sure we are all on the same track headed in the same direction. 

I know when my Dad first started family council I thought it was just another silly thing he had cooked up for us to do that would die after a few weeks. But we actually kept with it. Now I’m glad for it, but there were times when I got annoyed with it growing up because there were other things I wanted to do rather than to sit down with my family, plan out our week and talk about how we can improve as a family.  Haha oh man I remember times when I would get so upset with my dad because he pointed out something or another that I needed to do better on. And Of course though I’d hate to admit it, but he was always right. (He really doesn’t need to hear that though I don’t wanna boost his ego…lol just kidding)  It was nice to be able to feel like I had a say on family matters though. Like if I felt we needed to work on something or if something was bothering me I knew that I could talk about it in family council.  Even if it was that I was upset because I felt like I was getting picked on a teased too much or that I felt like we shouldn’t be watching so much TV on Sunday I knew I could bring it. Until now I didn’t realize that a lot of families aren’t like that.  From taking to roommates and friends I have realized how nice it was to be able to have a say in family matters and how blessed I was to have parents who were willing to hear me out and take my thoughts and feelings in to account.  It really brought me closer to my family and my parents. I always told my parents everything that was going on in my life, because I knew I could trust them no mater what even If I had done something really wrong I knew that they loved me anyway and would help me through. I never kept any secrets from my parents like my friends did. I didn’t feel like I needed to, because my parents were so open with me I was open with them. I think it really set a tone of openness in my family and of trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment